[Themesong Feature] The Silver Chamber of Sorrows






Title:Accepted Fate
Sung by: Ivana Wong

Monologue: Everlasting pledge, it best be forgotten
Let laughter be light, let pain be light
Life or death, union or separation
Doesn’t have control of the body;
doesn’t have control of the heart

I once didn’t believe too much in decided fate
I once wanted to revolt against fate
If I felt my heartbeat had no way to be calm,
Who is willing to listen?

*Chorus: At the years’ ups and downs is my destiny
Within hopelessness mutely enduring, within pain stealing life
Using love to trade for a most painful lesson, delusions approach
Therefore regretting been born*

Once wanted to recklessly build another life
You once wanted to embrace me, but in the end withdrew
If I could change and be brave, keeping you

Monologue: Fallen petals, wandering and drifting
Pledges and promises; exhaustion and powerlessness
Willing deception; heartbreaks and regrets
Love may end, but sorrows are endless

*Repeat Chorus*

Dreams will change dark from most brightest, letting love turn to hate
Flowing tears is me not willing
Letting tranquility stir dust particles, I am not content
Simply what should not have happened occurred

Once wanted to recklessly build another life
You once wanted to embrace me, but in the end withdrew
If I could change and be brave, forgetting you

English Translation by MetalAZNWarrior@TVB Musings

Thoughts: No doubt one of the most beautiful songs from tvb! The melody/voice is soothing yet sad...and along with the lyrics, it fits the series perfectly.

A gem of 2008, The Silver Chamber of Sorrows depicts a story of the pre-modern period when women were under the power of men. Throughout the series, the women of the household are all trying to break out of this old feudal system in hope to gain their own freedom. Does this theme sound familiar? It reminded me of War and Beauty in which a similar struggle amongst the concubines also took place. Though still not "as" great, I believe that The Silver Chamber of Sorrows is worthy with the title as War of Beauty's pre-modern version.

Notable mentions performances shall be given to Paul Chun, Christine Ng and Nancy Sit whom all portrayed their roles wonderfully. Always seeing Paul as a warm and family-oriented man in his previous series, you'd be in for a nice surprise to see the "dark" side of this veteran actor. As for Christine Ng, if I have to choose her breakthrough role...it would definitely go to Sau-Hang from The Silver Chamber of Sorrow. If you're not a fan of the cast (like I initially wasn't), the story itself kept the series strong and is definitely worth your time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment