2012 Highlights

Highlight #1 - The Hippocratic Crush

A touching themesong, a well-written script and a great assembled cast all tied together to result in this awesome series.  The Hippocratic Crush is engaging and kept me going for the entire 25 episodes.  Let's just say that that is very impressive because I do not often find myself chasing after the recent tvb series.  The casting is also something to like about, a balance between the experienced and the newbies...but with an equally distributed amount of screentime among all.  Tvb often focuses too much on the main characters, which can easily become boring.  So I liked how the smaller characters also got a sub story of their own, giving the newbies a chance to show what they've got without being too over the top.  Overall, definitely give the series a chance if you haven't already done so, as there are some touching scenes that you should not miss out!

Highlight #2 - Bottled Passion

The cast is not exactly attractive, since there are no big names in here but even so, no doubt that the acting was solid.  A series of revenge and romance, you will fall in love with Tung Pun-Sin (Raymond Wong) for his cunning yet loving nature.  Raymond Wong definitely shined in his role and made the character come alive.  His love story with Tsui Sum (Niki Chow) was heart-wrenching, which will require a box or so of tissues to go along with.  Storyline wise, it's a bit slow in the beginning but don't give up too soon because it's worth it....until the last episode (?).

Highlight #3  - Daddy Good Deeds

Unlike the other two series, Daddy Good Deeds is a comedy.  With a sweet light-hearted script, the humour does not feel force or pointless like some previous tvb comedies are like.  All the casts were naturally funny too!  After the series was finished....you can say I was abit sad because I felt so attached to the characters.  I truly miss seeing them onscreen.  Even though I did think the ending was a bit rushed, it's still an appropriate ending for a great comedy!  Need a few laughs here and there?  Watch Daddy Good Deeds because it is no doubt the best comedy this year...or should I say, for the last few years.

Highlight #4 - Gill Mohindepaul Sing also known as Q Bobo

I had troubles choosing if I should highlight No Good Either Way or not.  Overall, the series was good but things felt a bit unreasonable towards the end.  So after debating here and there, I chose to highlight Gill Mohindepaul Sing instead!  He's probably the best and altogether, my favourite out of all the No Good Either Way cast.

I liked Q Bobo since seeing Welcome to the House but have never seen him in anymore significant roles until No Good Either Way.  Once again he was lovable and proved to be a natural comedic actor!  Another reason why I decided to highlight Q Bobo is because he might not be able to act for tvb again, after emigrating to Scotland.  It's such pity seeing him go.

Highlight #5 - Oscar Leung

I think it's quite right to say that 2012 is Oscar's year.  This man is a talented actor and with the help of 2 well-received characters, Cheuk Yuen in Tiger Cubs and Ka Hong in L'Ecargot, he's finally the talk among the audience.  To voice out my opinion for the upcoming awards, Oscar Leung definitely have my support in the competition for Best Supporting Actor this year along with Ram Tseung!

***More to come in part two since I don't want to have so much in one post.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

these were all pretty much my favorite series of 2011 too!! top faves are Hippocratic Crush, Bottled Passion, and Tiger Cubs. I have to disagree on No Good Either Way just because it felt like a pointless storyline and i didn't like the character much. even though it was also a comedy like Daddy Good Deeds, it had a different feel and felt more "mo liu" hahaha

Lynne said...

I am still watching Tiger Cub right now :) haha I got irritated by Christine's character, so dropped it for a bit...but is now watching it again!

No Good Either Way...from what I've notice, some either likes it or not at all. Haha I think I'm one of the few who really enjoyed it :)

Post a Comment