Lives of Omission Overview

WAYYY too long ago since I finished this series. But when I was digging through all my drafts, I found this review. Haha not going to edit anything and just posted it...

The Ending

Um...none of the ending surprised me because of the amount of spoilers I've read before hand xP (I hate it when the news are all spoilers....but it's entirely my fault for reading them *sigh*)

Jodie's and Paris's death.

To be brutally honest, I didn't really "feel" anything for Jodie or Laughing when Jodie died. It's quite odd actually, since I'm usually really emotional about these kind of stuff. Maybe because it was the spoilers? Or maybe it's just because I never felt a deep liking for the couple?

~In all the scenes of Paris, my favourite is the one where she got caught and was put into jail. Her confession of love for Michael was so touching...and one reason why I like her so much.~

Unlike Jodie's death....Paris's death weren't highlighted in any news, so I was a bit surprise about her "death". I didn't exactly feel "sad" though....but feels more like disgust towards Michael for pulling the trigger. At that moment, the flashback scene of Paris asking Michael (whom asked her to stop heightening her career...with this other company....for his sake), if he could drop out of the gang for her, came into my mind. It is obvious that they both deeply loved each other...but it makes me think what was the most important to Micahel? I thought that shot Michael gave Paris gave me the answer; she was not his top priority. But it turned out differently....Michael shot Paris on the right...but he knew her heart lies on the left. To be honest, I was abit confuse when Michael shot Paris. It was just so random. But I guess everything makes sense now...What he did was to save her...unfortunately his plan to reunite with her did not turn out right. IF only he retired from the gang, their whole story would be different with a happier ending....sigh.

The ending scene where Paris saw Michael's death on the newspaper is sad. I even cried along with Paris when she held onto their wedding dress :(

Though I didn't like Michael and Paris that much...I still prefer their story over Jodie's and Michael's. I wonder how it would've turn out if Kate Tsui and Fala Chen switched their roles...?

Laughing Illegally Killing Michael

I don't care what he said in court because I just cannot agree with his reason. I understand Laughing is hurt but I thought as an undercover, he could've learn to have better control over his actions. It really disappointed me to see him kill Michael, since Laughing has always been scripted as a righteous cop.

His "defense" statement wasn't that great either. It actually reminded me abit about Ghetto Justice; choosing between what is morally right and lawfully right. Did Michael deserve his death? Most definitely. But was it lawfully right for Laughing to kill him? Um..no...killing is going a bit too far. Since the beginning of the series, it's main goal is to uphold justice and fairly punish the ones who're suppose to be punish, but the last episode just went against everything the series was depicted for since the beginning! I think that is the reason why it annoyed me so much.....irritating v_v

Then there is the shadow in the cell Laughing was in. Um...does that mean there's going to be a sequel? Are they going to make him break out of jail? :P Another thought I had is that the shadow represents the darkness....Laughing is going to turn evil and insane!!!! Like Spicy Ginger :P

Speaking of Spicy Ginger played by Ben Wong, he was a very interesting character to watch! Ben Wong have always been a great actor and he brought Spicy Ginger to life! I thought he was perfect in the role! When it was revealed that her was a undercover....I was shocked! He's another Laughing! (It's unbelievable how many undercovers there are in this series...) Though I wished that Spicy remained loyal to the police force...I was glad to see the tempted side of being a gang leader too. I believe that once someone have the power....it could change who they once were. Spicy Ginger got too caught up in that and it made him lose his original goal; to uphold justice and protect the citizens.

Storyline:

Lives of Omission has an alright storyline and I was chasing one episode after another. But as the story continues though....you could see quite a few faults here and there. Let me summarize my thoughts into 2 sections; Likes and Dislikes.

Likes:

- the shifts between the young and the "old" (more experienced). The main leads are obviously Michael Tse, Bosco Wong, Fala Chen etc. but we also got to see some of the newer artistes in here (MC Jin, Mandy Wong, Brian and each with a little sub (ish) story.

I don't like it when tvb suddenly push a new artiste into a big role because obviously, we are not familiar with them...and since they are new, the first opinion would be that they're going to be bad. By just putting them into small roles first, we just get to warm up with them. And I personally liked all the new faces, especially the twins, MC Jin, Mandy Wong and Sammy shum

-Sammy Shum: he's the guy that played as Michael's (Bosco Wong) right hand man. This is my first time seeing him, but I like him very much and is looking forward to seeing him more future series :) haha the part where he hinted to MC Jin that he likes Michael was hilarious!! I actually wished to see more of that....quite upsetting to see him die without a confession to Michael.

Dislikes:

- Jodie's character. She's too weak to be a madam. I understand that we are not robots and can all be super strong, but the problem was that the script showed more of her weak side than her strong side. That just killed the madam image. I was really disappointed to see that her character barely had any action scenes and showed little sense of power. In the end, is it the actress or the character? I see more fault in the character due to weak scenes given. It felt like Jodie served more as a love interest for Laughing than an actual madam.

- The missing people!! I love the sub stories....but after they're finish....they just seem to disappear into thin air! For example, Derek Kwok's character was caught as a spy by Bosco Wong's Character (Micahel) and got beat up. What happened to him after that? I dunno.....Then there is Fire Dragon (Adrian Chau), whom I thought would take revenge for his brother (Bosco caused his to become disabled)....but ended up disappearing? And Mo Ka-Lit's death is considerably a big deal isn't it? But the matter just kinda settle down after his death....which irritated me.

- Michael (Bosco Wong). Don't get me wrong, I loved Michael and thought his character was awesome! But that only remained for about 2/3 ish of the series? Since the death of Mo Ka Lit, his tactics seem to have gone down.....but overall, the ending is what annoyed me the most. I just thought is was a stupid death for such a character with so much potential.

- Trust is really easy to gain. Is that really true now? Laughing have been in the police force....why is he so easily trusted? I just find that too hard to believe....If I was them, I wouldn't trust him. They should be smarter than me :P Aiya...and the repeated UCs....

-The last case with the group of 4....which I seem to have forgotten the name to now. Anyways, I thought it started of with potential but too rushed towards the end. Though I still think recognizing them as a "world organization" (am I right?) was a bit over the line...eh but the rings were interesting right?

Overall
The series is not bad...though illogical at times but still alright. It goes on with a good pace that doesn't make it draggy. So if you have time, give the time to watch it. From what I've heard, most people do enjoy it :)

2 comments:

AC said...

I agree with a lot of what you said. I thought it was entertaining to watch because it made me want to watch the next episode, but I also didn't think it was a great series because of all the plot holes.

LynneD. said...

Haha glad to see someone agreeing with me :D *sigh* Don't really think it deserved the Best Series awards...

Post a Comment