Random Entry: Tvb Thoughts

**** Some fans might not want to read this because....of some negative opinions that are involved on different artistes. But please do understand these are just my own thoughts and opinion. Thank-you ^^ ****

I find expressing my feelings is better than bottling them in because the more I think of it to myself, the more negative I get about things. So now here it is, how I've been feeling about tvb for the last year. I know some I've always mentioned before....but eh, I'm just going to write them again =)

As everybody have seen recently (...or way before that), blogger by blogger have been slowly disappearing from the tvb community. It is really sad but I guess change is inevitable. Everybody grew up in a different time, and no matter if it's true or not, tvb can get either worse or better for them. Each generation have their own viewpoint, and I guess everybody loves what they grew up to see. Perfect example? Me and my parents. I cringe while watching old series with them because it's not what I am used to. I mean.....watching people I don't know...? I guess I'm just not use to it... They always say that TVB back then (in their time....so who knows how long it was ago xP) was much better...and either true or not, I do not think like them. Now, some of us are saying tvb is degrading....while others say they are still good, I guess it's just the same situation as me and my parents....

So now, let's begin with how I feel about TVB...

What Makes Someone Interested in a Series?

I've been thinking of an answer for the question above, and honestly.....what do YOU think? Main ingredients for a series is it's casts and storyline/script. So, do you guys watch a series for it's casts, storyline/script....or something else? I personally think the storyline/script is the much more important thing to look forward to, but my biases for my favourite artistes seems to have the power over my own mind. I wish I did not care about who's in what series, but that is somewhat impossible as I'm one of those human beings who wants to see their idols everywhere xP

Everybody have their own favourite idols, and I think the casts is a really important selling point for a series because it's just a fact that a series popularity has alot to do with that. Take Gun Metal Grey and Can't Buy Me Love for example, both are grand productions but why do people want to watch Can't Buy Me Love more? I don't think it's the stories or different genres that attracts the audience more, but it's the casts. Can't Buy Me Love have such an astounding cast!! If you can imagine the two series switching casts, the series would definitely turn out with different results.

Can the casts guarantee a good storyline/script though? That's a definite no. Look at what happened to Mysteries of Love. I know some people really loved the series, but there were also some that were quite disappointed. First, it had a boring storyline/script, which resulted in boring characters.....even worse, overused love story which resulted in a drag. I can't find how people liked Kingsley other than the fact the actor who played it was Raymond Lam (which is probably the main reason). Honestly, I can say I like Raymond Lam but can never ever say I like Kingsley because to me, his character is just completely boring. Mysteries of Love has such a strong cast but yet a weak storyline and characters. And that is probably tvb's biggest issue right now.

To me, you can attract as many audiences as you can with a super awesome casts, but is that really enough? How do you keep the audiences attention? Maybe using Raymond Lam can help a bit....but is it really going to work forever? If tvb can't create good scripts with nice (refreshing) storylines, it's popularity 'can' maintain....but it will never boost up and most likely will fall.

A great example of a good storyline is really essential to a good series is A Great Way to Care. Though the casts aren't that appealing and I must say, the two leads weren't really my cup of tea, but the storyline totally made the series worth it. The acting weren't that great because to me, Alex always seems to have the same expression and looks kinda boring, while Kate still have to brush up on her acting skills. Kate have a really distinct look (especially her eyes) that makes her special, but acting wise, I still think she have to work on her expressions, crying and the way she speaks her lines (more feelings?). Overall though, that did not prevent me from loving the series as it was one of my favourites because the story is intriguing, refreshing and not draggy.

Instead of getting all the casts and making the series all nice and beautiful, I think tvb should also give a bit more time into their scripts. It's sad to see that there are some of the talented who are either not promoted or are given badly written characters.

Quick Talk of Comedies
I want the sweet and 'actually funny' comedies that doesn't have rap or goofy exaggerations but actual something I call wit back in tvb. Especially with the ancient comedies. I mean....singing rap? Really? Did wrap really exist back then? What about the fighting scenes? It's ridiculous how some of the fighting in tvb are nowadays. Not so long ago, remember Devil's Disciples? The fighting in there....with the running and effects were just totally embarrassing. Though there were some good comedies, the memories of the rap and lame effects with all the dancing just can't be forgotten.

Comments of Artistes

Getting promoted is good, but of course there are also cons to that.

Also the overused of characters for the artistes. I know Moses got popular after Heart of Greed for his comedic roles, but why does tvb keep on giving him those roles? I admit I loved him in all his roles though, but to see his characters so limited and similar really annoys me. It can work for some artistes but definitely not for most. I would want to see him back into some of the more serious roles (like in Perish in the Name of Love) or at least away from comedic just for a bit because the more comedic roles he play, the more I find his acting to be similar to each other. How can a artiste be proven versatile when they don't have the chance to play more than one kind of character? Luckily he got a good role of a murderer now and no more news of comedic roles.

Something else that I'd like to talk about is the over promotion. We all know the two that got deservable recognition during the last two years, Wayne Lai and Michael Tse. These two were parts of my favourite supporting group. Let's talk about Wayne first though. I bet everybody is happy for him and so am I. His career is definietly going great with the leading roles he's getting and really lucky for such good roles too. I don't exactly have any complaints....it's just that I want to see him more. I know...a bit selfish here, but since he got leading roles, I can't see him in most series anymore. To me, Wayne always highlight the series he's in, no matter if the story is good or bad. We all have seen his stupid, smart, evil, serious, goofy and many more sides. That was something I found so special about Wayne. No matter what character, I cannot help but love him. A supporting character's advantage is the versatile of characters they can play....and the disadvantage of a leading role is the limited of characters.

Michael Tse's fame shot straight up after his role in EU. Same as the others, I loved him in there and thinks he really deserved the recognition. Sadly though, I do not think Michael can lead a series. Is it the bad characters he've been receiving?? Maybe. But also the feeling of seeing Michael onscreen. Unlike Wayne, I just can't 'see' Michael leading. Michael also does not do well in serious characters. I think he's best in comedic roles and would love to see him back in his old roles because I really miss the old Michael.

Ok, now let's talk about Kenneth Ma. This guy have been really lucky with the amount of roles he've played. Though he might not officially be a leading actor, but in my opinion, he's so much luckier than them. Some people are just straightly promoted before they can actually try a different number of roles and in the end, do not have the experience. Kenneth is lucky though, as he got a variety of roles and even now when he's leading, he doesn't get caught in one role. He reminds me of Wayne Lai alot because of that, and I guess that's one of the many reasons why I love him so much! I remember reading at Hyn5's that Kenneth wanted to be like Benz Hui, who's also one of my favourite supporting actors ;)

2 comments:

may said...

HEY i totally agree with what you say !
i admit sometimes i choose dramas to watch based on the casts ( if my fav idols are acting in it, its more likely i will watch that show)
but i will also watch interesting storylines that captivate me
like for forensic heroes 3, although charmaine is replaced by maggie and im kinda a little disappointed cos i love char, but i will still watch FH3. !

and i also agree with the fact that the casts do affect the popularity of the series
tome, gun metal grey is a pretty good show toobut the ratings arent that great.
Also, TVB should give better/more outstanding roles to some artistes, whom have really good acting skills but just lack the luck and opportunity. like natalie, nancy, oscar.
and yea, im disappointed with mysteries of love, a drama which i highly anticipated for.
my mum said its very nice, but i dun think so. im shocked when raymond won the my fav male character award for kingsley :( i wanted kenneth ma to get it in a fistful of stances !!!

LynneD. said...

haha, yah. I admit I watch everything with my fav. casts too. Speaking of FH....I didn't watch FH2 because my original "4" was seperated. *sigh* just reality how we want to watch our fav. artistes.

Just like some artistes, some series are underrated too Dx

Tvb is trying to hard to make perfect characters...that results in them being draggy. Also, all their characters use to be good too...which I complained about. But now...they're pushing more and more artistes into "evil" roles. Before, I would like that....but it's getting too much. They're thinking the characters have to be either good or evil...(Beyond). They need more rounded characters...especially when dealing with the main ones.

ME TOO!!! Well....I'm not exactly "shock" but...just completely disappointed. I think Kenneth deserved that award too ;)

Post a Comment